Thursday, June 02, 2011

Great Moments in Life

This past Sunday, May 29th, we got a chance to CELEBRATE! First and foremost, it was Laura and I's 12th wedding Anniversary! So grateful to have such a loving, supportive, and amazing wife and helpmate. It's been an incredible 12 years. Excited for many more ahead.

Next, it was Memorial Day weekend, so we took an opportunity to remember and thank those who have honorably served the USA. Thank you for offering your lives in sacrificial service to protect our freedom! We owe you a debt of gratitude.

Finally, I got the privilege of blessing and sending my "spiritual father". We had Terry and Jo Ann Broadwater at Lifehouse for all 3 services. Why? Terry just accepted the lead pastor role at Grace Community Church in Centennial, CO. So, I wanted to return to him a small portion of what he gave me as we started planting Lifehouse nearly 8 years ago.


Here's what Terry gave me when he invited me to come to Hagerstown to plant a new church:
  • Gave me a chance- I didn't need someone to hold my hand and do all the work for me, but just a chance, a God-ordained, significant opportunity to matter for eternity,
  • Believed in me- at key moments when I felt very discouraged and wanted to give up, Terry said to me, "I believe in, and in this moment, I believe in you more than you believe in yourself."
  • He saw God's purposes in my life- he would continue to share with me, "I see you pastoring a great church that will grow significantly to impact this entire Hagerstown-region for God's Kingdom."
  • Invested in me both personally and in my destiny- Terry spent time with me, every Wednesday morning for 5 years alone, and another 2 years with the other church planters. He took me on missions trips, to conferences, and invited me to speak in leadership settings. He also rallied Bethel to start by investing in us financially on the front end, and offer office space, and copiers, and borrowed rooms for meetings, etc. Words are nice, but actions make a difference.
  • Stayed the course with me- Terry endured through times of tension, hardship, and discouragement.
  • Spoke life into me- Terry took time to pray over me and for me. At times, he shared prophetic words that he believed he had received from God for me. This was like breath in my lungs.
  • Set a great example- Terry should me what a pastor- warrior was like. I appreciate his example and passion to follow God by faith. He spoke my language and understand my passion.
On Sunday, I got the privilege of returning a little bit of that!! We invited Terry and Jo Ann up so we could pray over, bless, and SEND them out from Lifehouse. It was great to have Pastor Curt from Lifehouse- Bethel at our 1st service, to join in praying over them.


We challenged Terry with a verse that he has spoken over us many times- Philippians 3:13-14!

Terry, we love you and will miss having you so close. Thanks for the investment of your life. I'm confident that there are many young people who need these same investments in CO.

Lifehouse is full of spiritual "grandchildren" of Terry, and Lifehouse- Hedgesville could be considered his "grand-church". It's a honor to honor him! The Bible says to give honor to whom honor is due!

No comments: