Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Enjoy the journey

As Americans, as leaders- we're results-oriented. I'm guilty. Too often, I allow my emotions, attitude, and happiness to rise and fall based on the results that I get or see. I want instant results in church, in other people's lives, in ministry, in preaching, and even in myself.

But that's not how we were designed nor how ministry life works. I (and we) need to learn to enjoy the journey. It's not about arriving but embracing each moment. Wise elders have spoken these words into many parents, and Laura and I have taken it to heart,

"Don't wish away the moments when you're kids are young, even if it's difficult and you're tired."

"Don't complain about the fingerprints on the windows- someday they won't be there and you'll wish they were."

Similar sentiments can be share about ministry:

Enjoy the journey- the hardships, the difficulties, the moments without. They make us appreciate the moments of victory and laughter and enjoyment.

Enjoy the climb up, the view is more satisfying and meaningful if it costs you.

In pastoring and serving people:

Enjoy conversations, love people, embrace moments of prayer and meaningful leadership development. Don't wait for them to arrive at a destination, it's about the journey.

Don't live to arrive at a desired destination, trust me there are no summits.

Every summit just reveals the next. So, if you're living to reach a point in life or ministry, and don't enjoy the journey, you'll waste precious moments and loose valuable memories.

God has given you TODAY. Embrace it. Enjoy the journey- the views, every person, each challenge, every obstacle, valley, and mountaintop.

No comments: