Wednesday, October 18, 2006

When we got our new townhouse 3 years ago, I expected everything to last at least the next 25 years. Yea, right! So, when the thermostat broke that controlled the A/C during August, I had to quickly run out and buy a new one- Home Depot, here I come. Hey, I've built decks, painted, run wires, sheetrocked, whatever... So, a few wires and a thermostat, no big deal. And just as quick as I right this, it was in and done and the A/C turned on and cooled our house down. Story finished.

Well, that is until 90 degree days turn to 30 degree October evenings when the heat is supposed to kick on. Instead of the heat turning on, the thermostat said it was working but nothing was happening. So, my family and I slept with the house gradually cooling to 64 at night. No one wanted to get out of bed. Some of you can relate, even when your place isn't 64.

So, I set out to handyman the thermostat or the furnace or the heat pump, or whatever else might be the problem. No avail! I rechecked the wires, slammed my fist against the furnace, nothing. Then what? I mean after days of cold nights, I got desperate and called a repair company, who said it was $85/ hr to repair the thing. Oh, great. But while on the phone with the technician, he said something that caught my ear (and saved me lots of money), "First, I'll check your thermostat to see if it's compatible with your heating system, then see if you installed it correctly." Now, I can do that. I pulled out the installation instructions and started reading, only to find out that while I had installed it correctly, I never programmed it to recognize my system. With the push of a few buttons... whhhhhrrrrrrr! My heat clicked on and the house is a cozy 70.

What's the point, you ask?

We endure all kinds of annoying and uncomfortable situations in life (broken relationships, depression, fear, anxiety, stressful work environments, and wrestle with destructive habits) and are even willing to pay top dollar to get someone to give us a prescription, or counseling, or financial advice, or personal skills training- all so we can overcome these issues. But to simply open the installation manual of our heart, read the wisdom of the Creator, and hear the proper living instructions? Wow! There it is in black and white. The answer I've been looking for. I apply the teaching of the Master-trainer, and whhhrrrrr! My life starts clicking like it was destined to. I find purpose. Relationship healed. Hope established. Work is still hard but at least it is fulfilling, and I can find joy even in the most menial of tasks. And besides, we all just saved the $85/ hr.

And the disclaimer is... sometimes, we do need to get some input from a doctor or counselor. So, after you spend some time in prayer, reading the Bible, and examining your life. Don't be afraid to talk with someone. Just don't make that the first step.

No comments: