Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Do I live what I preach?

I've been doing this sermon series "Rush Hour," on the premise that our lives are so busy that we need to take more time to think about how we make our everyday decisions. Thus, my goal is to provide principles for spiritual guidance at the speed of life.

In light of what I preach, I've been wrestling with some major decisions at The LifeHouse. Namely, I believe we need to bring someone on full-time to carry a major load of responsibility- to bring us to a new level in our worship gatherings and alleviate responsibility off my desk so that I can continue to focus on leading the church in her vision. But, that's where decision-making gets tough. Who's the right person? Can we afford to hire someone with our limited budget? Will you as a church rally around this decision and give sacrificially to help make this happen and move us in the right direction?

I feel like we are at a scary, risky, dangerous place in the church, and these decisions have frightening, intimidating implications. When I begin to think that way, a trigger goes off inside of me, and I say, "This must be God." When I look back at the journey of my life and The LifeHouse, every time we came to a scary, risky place, something amazing happened. God stepped in and did the impossible.

I was reading a new book by Mark Batterson (In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day), and he hit this exact point about making decisions:

"There is a pattern I see repeated throughout Scripture: Sometimes God won't intervene until something is humanly impossible... Maybe God allows the odds to be stacked up against us so He can reveal more of His glory." Wow! Maybe it's supposed to feel a little scary. Well, then, bring it on.

The results from these situations are always amazing. God will stretch us, expand our vision, and allow us to reach a greater number of people with the message of hope and salvation. After all, it is His church and vision!

No comments: