Friday, April 03, 2009

...Because I Said So. That's Why!

At some point, nearly every parent responds to a "why" from their child with, "because I said so". 

That's the moment when a parent decides that they don't want to or are not ready to explain the why's to their children, and they simply want obedience. They want immediate, unwavering obedience to their expectation or request.

For me personally, this happens rarely. I enjoy explaining life, chores, homework, whatever to my girls. They rarely ask a "why" question in protest, but usually just inquisitively. So, when their curiousity peeks, I love to help them grow.

However, on those rare occassions, when I don't want to explain, and I expect immediate obedience, they will receive the firm hand of correction if they don't comply. Usually, that's followed by, "When Dad speaks, you listen immediately regardless of your questions. Do as your told. If you have a question- obey first, ask later."

God does that to US as well! Yep, there are moments in following Jesus, that we're busy asking "why's" and not moving or obeying.
  • ... but why should I stop sinning?
  • ... but why is that wrong?
  • ... but what about them? They're doing it, why can't I?
  • ... NOW God? Are you sure? I mean, I have a lot going on, and next year would be better.
  • ... but God, 10% is a lot of money? Are you sure? Maybe I'll just give 2%, that's better than nothing.
  • ... but that doesn't make sense. Why should I give that up?
  • ... but it wasn't my fault, why should I say I'm sorry?
Well, you get the idea. God's response to me is usually something like mine to my girls, "Because I said so, that's why? You may not understand it, but I do expect you to obey!"

What questions have kept you from obeying? 
What is God asking you to do that you haven't because you can't figure it out?

It's time to "do as we're told and obey God".

No comments: