Tuesday, October 09, 2007

You know what's great about our kids? They make us appreciate the little things in life, that we often are moving to quickly... to preoccupied... to many more important things going on.

Here are some things I've learned from my girls:
  • killing bugs is great entertainment (even for girls)
  • rock, paper, scissors is really fun right before bed
  • they have a significantly longer attention span than I do, particularly when it's reading stories about princesses.
  • their prayers are more honest, real, and spiritual than just about anything I've ever prayed. My favorite so far, at the end of one of the prayers a few days ago, "...and thank you Jesus that you didn't give us any brothers!"
  • the best moment in the world is coming through the door, I get mobbed by 4 loving women in my life, it's like every teenage boys dream. Lot's of hugs and kisses and "I love yous."
  • If I'm ever late for a meeting or anything, it's probably because I had to stop and kiss my girls one last time, okay, about 4 times. Every time one gets kissed, the others want another.
  • Whatever you do, they will do. Yell, laugh, make glaring faces, or spend too much time in the facilities:)
Just thought I'd keep us focused on the right things. Share what you've learned or are learning.

2 comments:

April Duffey said...

A few weeks ago, Ella was at the table finishing up breakfast when the doorbell rang. I opened the door and my mom stepped in- Ella's face lit up, she threw her hands over her mouth in surprise, and shrieked, "Gamma!!!!" Then she proceeded to clap and laugh with abandonment. Even more memorable was my mom's face. I don't know if she has ever been paid such a compliment! Ella had made her feel more appreciated and completely loved than I could have ever made her feel- with my conservative half-hug and "good morning." It really hit me hard. We need to love purely and appreciate with abandonment. What are we so afraid of? Rejection? Mockery? Awkwardness? Yes, these are definite possibilities- but one thing is for sure- if I can make some one feel as Ella made my mom feel that morning, than it's worth the risk!
"The greatest person in the kingdom of heaven is the one who makes himself humble like this child." Matt. 18:4

Unknown said...

what an awesome thought!