Monday, October 29, 2007

Too busy to pray?

Yesterday in life group, the topic of being busy and hurried and working non-stop in the 24-7, rat-race of life...

who has time to set aside time to pray, read the Bible, and do all the things we're supposed to do as Jesus-followers.

Ever felt that way? You have the spiritual obligations that must be fulfilled, a card that must be punched?

Allow me some candor with a hint of challenge.

It's tough for me too. I don't find it easy to pray. To focus my attention on God while I know that there are a pile of other things I'm supposed to be doing.

But here's the challenge: we NEED to stop and give some quiet time to God. This isn't a luxury for the "non-busy" among us, but a necessity for the ADHD, adreline-filled, no-time-to-slow-down-and-take-a-potty-breakers among us. We absolutely need our time with God- time to devote our life to him. Time to express our love to him. Time to get refueled. Time to get our priorities in order. Time to glean wisdom from the author of all wisdom. Time to ask the Creator what the purpose of the creature is all about. Time to be reminded of who we are and why we're here.

It's not easy but it's vital. Go too long without and we'll begin to feel depleted and emaciated. Go even longer and we become spiritually destitute.

So, pause, take a moment and quiet your heart before God. Trust me, we all need it.

4 comments:

Ron Weinke and Dean Peterson said...

It is hard on many occasions to take time out of a crammed schedule for anything. I know I can get going with the day and before you know it, the day is gone and I haven't spent much more than a quick "thanks for the food, God" moment in prayer. Many times this is when I get out of my normal routine.

I think that taking this time needs to be viewed differently than other activities. I see it as in investment where I can't afford not to make a daily "deposit" in the account. When I don't take the time to get in tune with the will of the Father, I struggle making decisions. For me, no other activity can replace prayer when it comes to discernment, guidance, and direction.

Ron Weinke and Dean Peterson said...

Forgot to mention Bill Hybel's excellent book about this subject...."Too Busy Not to Pray"

Lisa McCaw said...

You're so right...we NEED to take time, rather give, time to God all day long. A little secret of mine, every morning in the shower...I'm alone, no distractions, just me and the water...what a great time to say good morning to your best friend! It's amazing how my sleepy, groggy "out-of-obedience" prayer turns into an incredible, energized blessing that fuels my day and lifts my spirit. God is so incredible, just give Him an inch and He'll take you the mile!! It doesn't take much...just a little effort, a heart filled with love and admiration for your creator is all that's required to let Him move. He's such a great Dad, just meet him halfway...He'll take you all the way! Just look at it this way, you never forget to drink your coffee in the morning...just put him right up there with the morning brew and you're all set! :0)

Unknown said...

Great thoughts and resource!

I like to go for a walk outside, preferably in the woods early in the morning. It keeps me awake, and for me, being outside- I feel more closely connected with God, and more receptive to His voice. Plus, you can't be the crisp air in the lungs.