Thursday, March 29, 2007

FINDING THE RIGHT FIT

As you may have known, at The LifeHouse, we're in search mode for a worship/ associate pastor. This is not only my first time maneuvering these waters, but I've also taken this opportunity to re-evaluate my own ministry journey. Here are some of my thoughts recently as I've diligently sought out the right person for this responsibility of partnering with us to pastor and lead at The LifeHouse:
  • I don't like most of the models I've seen of other churches hiring/ firing staff (esp. pastors).
  • This should be, but usually isn't, a spiritual process.
  • We should ACTUALLY pray about it. I've begun to wonder how much other pastors and churches actually pray about who they should/ shouldn't invite to join the pastoral staff.
  • CHEMISTRY is as important as COMPETENCE. It's not enough to have a qualified or capable person, we actually need someone who fits with US. Since we're not like all the other churches, just like not all families are alike, we need a unique person to come and join our team.
  • There aren't a lot of people who cover the 3 C's: Character, Competence, and Chemistry.
  • There's even a smaller group that we'll actually like. Bill Hybel's said it something like this, "we want someone who adds to the energy of the relationships and the church, rather than detracts."
  • I have to grow a lot. Man, I feel like God challenges me to grow everyday, but this is a steep learning curve. I like it, but it's still tough. I'm being challenged in areas like: leadership style, corporate/ executive responsibilities, I don't like being the bad guy (but I can't hire all 55 people who gave me a resume), being transparent and being willing to ask the hard questions, how do you actually figure out and draw up a salary package, how do we serve both the best interest of the church and the person we're bringing on.
  • Here's a tough one: I must develop leaders to compliment my leadership rather than match it. Basically, we hire our weaknesses. Since I have lots, it's easy. But I was looking for a Patrick who can sing (and I know that's a stretch), and I learned that I must bring someone in who's different than me. And then set them up to win.

4 comments:

Ron Weinke and Dean Peterson said...

You know, I'm sorry I missed out on the meetings today but I was demanded by Liberty U! I know you have walked a battle in this journey and I think it speaks a great deal to perserverance and a faithfulness to not just fill the spot with an adequate fit. One of the big things that stuck in my mind from the Boot Camp (AG Church Planters!)was the idea of going after the people you feel would be the ultimate fit and not settling. Funny how journeys like this are. We find along the way a great deal of insight into ourselves. Each day we can find God revealed and at work in each phase if we are in a mode of sensitivity.

Lisa said...

I wanted to tell you, how much you have pushed my to grow personally through this process, without you probably even knowing it. And even though change can be painful sometimes, your patience, prayer, and waiting for God's timing...when that is so hard to do, means so much, it means peace to me. So thank you for so many different reasons! your excitement and enthusiasm are infectious and I can not help but be excited right along with you for all of the things to come that God has in store for the Life House!

Ray said...

I know one of your concerns must have been what LifeHousers' reaction is to the decision to bring on another salaried/full time pastor. Of course, you can't please everyone, and that is never the goal, but I think for the most part, people are excited about it. You are very trusted and respected. It's obvious that God's favor is on you, your family, and the LifeHouse, which automatically gives credibilty to your decisions.

I appreciate your model for pastor hiring. I came to know Jesus at the LifeHouse, which means I know no different as far as other churches go, but I do know that your leadership and management style empowers people to win, and frees them to allow God to direct them. You can't be set up to win any better than that.

Unknown said...

I have long felt this, but this journey/ process has confirmed and emboldened my views:

We are not here for positions, titles, salaries, etc. And what we offer to anyone coming on board with us, whether volunteer or paid, is an opportunity to live their destiny toward the greatest Cause of eternal value and expanding the kingdom of God through The LifeHouse. This is a new life, not a job or role. This is a community, a partnership, a beginning. And may every one of us everyday pursue God's very best for our lives.