Thursday, March 29, 2007

RUNNING IS A LOT LIKE PRAYING

My mission most mornings is to make out the door without waking up the girls and heading to the Y for a run. I do 3 miles, and make every effort to go just a little faster. But here's a confession: I don't enjoy it or get any "runner's high" from it. I just do it, even when it hurts (which is pretty often), and keep doing it, because I know I need to. It's what's best for my body, not my comfort.

Often, I think Jesus-followers have the misconception that if prayer isn't easy or "warm-and-fuzzy" then something is wrong. But that's not reality. Prayer requires a consistent, disciplined, sometimes arduous approach. We realize that the best thing we can do is talk with our Creator, and invite God into the daily affairs of our life.

So, no matter what, even when your bed beckons you to stay or your body would rather nap or your stomach would rather eat- PRAY. Pray because it's necessary for spiritual survival. Besides, God likes it when we pray and miracles happen.

No comments: