Monday, April 02, 2007

THE LIFEHOUSE RUINS PEOPLE

It's become my new mission statement! I want us to ruin people. That's right! I want our guests and anyone who becomes part of The LifeHouse to so enjoy and connect with us, that they can never go back to church as usual. I know, that sounds terrible. But for Laura and I personally, we often say that we can't go back to just "doing" church, sitting in pews, singing songs, you know, doing church. I want LIFE, passion, relevance, the Bible becoming alive and an authentic community of Jesus-followers who aren't afraid to be themselves. So, I'm ruined.

Recently, I've gotten feedback from LifeHousers that were out-of-town, and they say that they walk into another church, and start thinking, "I can't drink coffee here" or "I feel like I have to act religious" or "Where's the laughter?" or "my kids are going to get bored quick." We shouldn't compare ourselves with others, after all, we are ONE CHURCH. And The LifeHouse is just the last name of the particular family that we identify with. But as a family, we're ruined, and we like it that way. Look forward to your personal remarks.

7 comments:

Joelle said...

Andre and I were searching for a church to call home in Hagerstown for more then a year. In December, the Lord led us to The Lifehouse using Lisa! Joyfully, we take on the title of "ruined!" :)

Unknown said...

You guys are a gift to our "family".

FARA said...

I am proud to say that I am "ruined". The Lord is definitely using Lisa. My family and I were invited by Lisa and we love it. I have come to know so many people that I can truly say are my family. Patrick, great job on the Life Development class. I have done more reading and studying the bible since coming to the Life House. I can't imagine my life without my new family! Thanks!

Lisa McCaw said...

WOW!...I'm not alone, what a relief! I'm also proud to say that I too am ruined...have been since day 1. Why? Cause I believe we're gettin' it, we take out the politics, the "religion" and the bunk (I love that word!) of "church". When I look around...and obviously alot of other people see it too, I don't see church, I see a living example of my best friend, my hero, Jesus Christ. I see people honestly and diligently trying to follow Him, not just in their actions, but in their hearts! That's it...we're all heart! Each and every person in my "family" has personally blessed me in ways I can't even explain. God is faithful to give us people who add light to our paths and reach out their hands to help us when we've tripped. I have so many blessings in my family, too abundant to count! You guys brighten my path so much it's almost blinding!! :) But...I wouldn't have it any other way! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

larry said...

Having a great church like thelifehouse does wonders to my spirit and soul.I actually get excited esp. when we get together for our Alpha group meetings on Saturdays.

larry said...

I want to thank Lisa our neighbor for inviting my family to thelifehouse, because this loving group of Christ followers is just what my family and I needed.We are blessed to have everyone as our family and I didn't say church people(lol).

John said...

I had never thought about it that way, but I guess it is true. After having become a part of the lifehouse family my family and I are enthralled with the all too novel concept of true worship and faith, vice blind "religion," in church. I can tell you that we left a church in Frederick that was nice, we just never felt at home there and the commute made it too easy to miss because we never felt connected. After trying a few churches in Hagerstown, we stumbled on the lifehouse. I remember thinking as we sat in the cafeteria the first day that this church was different because faith and a relationship with Christ were what drove the people here; not a building agenda, a Christian grapevine, or any other subcommittee. SO I guess I can say thanks for ruining me because although it was easy to sit through mindless sermons, now it means something.