Wednesday, November 01, 2006

WHY NOT?

I have a new quote on my desktop, "I would rather fail in a cause that someday will triumph, than to win in a cause that someday will fail" - Woodrow Wilson. I had an "aha" moment when I read that. I try real hard, as do you, to avoid failure, to give everything my best, and work hard to prevent my efforts from being wasted/ in vain.

But what's the worst that will happen? No, I mean honestly. What about the soldiers in the front lines of the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, the Civil Rights movement, the War on Terror. For them, their great Cause, ended in death (the death of a dream and Cause, at least from their vantage point). But history would suggest that their efforts/ failures were the foundation for future success/ triumph.

What if I am the first line of attack that God uses to blast the embattlements of the enemy, and I have to take the hit along the way. Am I willing to be a casualty in the greatest Cause of all? Are willing to risk failure in a Cause that we know will triumph?

I don't know about you but that is incredibly challenging for me, and makes me want to make some crazy big sacrifices and risks in this epic battle for the souls of my community and world!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently heard and have now taught a great quote, "Leadership is courage." Great leaders are not the most talented, smartest, eloquent, or best-looking. They are the ones who are willing to lead others into battle and not retreat in the face of impossible odds. They are the ones willing to sign their name on the dotted line.

I don't have to be the best at everything (matter of fact, I'm not and it's better that way). I have to have the most courage in the room. I (we) must be willing to say, "follow me as I follow Christ" which actually means going into battle, fighting spiritual warfare, standing in the face of fear, and smiling to the attacks of naysayers and critics.