Monday, November 06, 2006

AN OVERVIEW OF THE WEEKEND

Money. Lot's and lot's of money...

It's funny. Everyone talks about it all the time. And the moment we bring up in church everyone (including me) panics and reaches for our wallets. This is a conditioned reflex. Like pulling our hand away from the flame or saying "bless you" when someone sneezes, we know that when money gets mentioned in church settings it's going to cost us.

So, this past weekend I dared to tread on thin ice by broaching the topic. I'm enjoying this series, "RUSH HOUR: spiritual Guidance at the Speed of Life." And one of the topics that consumes a lot of our time and decision-making is money. So, I decided to use humor and keep it light-hearted with "Be Wise with Borrowed Stuff."

For those of you that saw the video, isn't great that I get to spend time preparing for messages by taking a 350Z for test drive. That car is much smoother and went much faster than I expected. I wasn't trying to speed, honestly. It's just that when my car feels that smooth, I'm only going about 45mph, it was going about 85. Whoops!

Well, to recap the weekend. Here's the point of my message taken from Matthew 25:14-30 (the story of the talents). BE WISE WITH BORROWED STUFF! Everything we have is borrowed, and we are managers that will have to give a record of what we did with our Boss's stuff.
- Trust God: He knows how much each of us can handle today. And He has distributed His estate on earth accordingly.
- Live Simply: make a budget. live within your means. save for the future (set up a retirement account, etc).
"If you would be wealthy, think of savings as well as gettting"- Benjamin Franklin.
-Give to Eternity: this is a basic principle. God asks us to give 10% and in turn, He will bless us. What's so hard about that? It's a trust and obey issue. I know many people get stressed about it, but they're usually the ones that don't give. Put God to the test, and I'm confident He'll come through for you every time.

By the way, I challenged anyone at The LifeHouse to tithe for 6 months, and if they are not able to make ends meet after 6 months or are in a worse financial place then before they started giving, we'll refund them all their investment into The LifeHouse. Now, that's testing what the Bible says!

No comments: