Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The purpose of lonely

We don't avoid loneliness, betrayal, and depression. BUT we can come THROUGH them.

At Lifehouse, we're going through a sermon series called "Scars".

We don’t avoid isolation, loneliness, or moments, even seasons, of depression. We go THROUGH it.

What for? What is the lonely for? Psalmist gives us the answer...

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God… Psalms 42:5.

God takes tragedy, desperate situations and turns them into triumph!

We are not shielded from the lonely, when the odds are against you, but God, in the worst of all situations, through Jesus, His Son, died and overcame to offer us HOPE.

There is no true hope, help, deep connection outside of faith in Jesus Christ.

Hope in God through these times. HOW?

To Hope in God, Depend on His Will

Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. Psalm 43:3-4, NIV.

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26: 39

To Hope in God, Be Refreshed by His Presence

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5, NIV.

These lyrics say it best:

Some room is empty/ If I feel hollow that's just my proof that there's more/ For me to follow - that's what the lonely is for

From the deep of your dreams, the height of your wishes/ The length of your vision to see, the hope of your heart/ Is much bigger than this/ For it's made out of what might be  That's What The Lonely Is For Lyrics - David Wilcox.

Are you finding hope in God THROUGH your lonely?

No comments: