Friday, May 28, 2010

What is Meekness?

Jesus called himself gentle and meek. Does meekness mean weakness? Was Jesus weak?

Best word picture for "meekness" is velvet covered steal. A gentle strength. A soft but unwavering firmness.

We are called to be meek, and can be meek, because we trust God alone to be our defense, our advocate, and we believe that He does look out for us. When we are fully surrendered to Him, we can have meek confidence that He will protect us, vindicate us, provide for us.

Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. 9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. Isaiah 58:8-9

Love the picture that God is my rear guard. He's looking out for me.

Charles Stanley stated, "God takes full responsibility for those who are fully devoted to Him."

We don't have to fight or defend ourselves.

I'm learning to walk in meekness, and leave my concerns, worries, fears, stresses with God. Guess I'm better off with God looking out for His Kingdom and His servants than for me to try to do that job. He's a little bigger, stronger, wiser, and more powerful.

No comments: