Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Does what upsets me upset God?

I was jogging recently and thinking and stressing about a few issues that were upsetting me. So, I did what any God-fearing, super-spiritual pastor would do- I complained about them to God. I let Him know what was upsetting me and why and then asked Him to fix them. Sounds good and right?

While I was praying, er... complaining, a thought (maybe the Holy Spirit) struck me,

"Does what upsets me upset God?" Doh! That hurt. Do the things that stress me out, preoccupy my thoughts, attention, and energy also upset God? Is God sad over the things that make me sad?

Then, an even more disruptive thought raced through my mind like a run-away train about to dramatically change my day,

"Do the things that upset God also upset me? Or do I even think about the things that upset God?"

Maybe you're thinking, "God, upset?" Yes, certainly there are plenty of examples biblically of things that upset, anger, preoccupy the attention of God. Want just a few? People going to hell. Care for the orphans and the widows. The health and beauty (holiness) of the Church (Bride of Christ). Yea, those things are important and should be on my mind and when they are not given proper attention or care, they should upset me.

So, what I'm praying now, "God, break my heart with the things that break yours. Upset me with the things that upset you. And remove from my awareness or conscious thinking worries and stress of this life that matter little in the scope of eternity."

Are the things that upset you also upsetting God? Do they matter for eternity?

Are the things that break God's heart also breaking your heart?

2 comments:

MrAnders said...

I think about how Jesus was before His Father and had His mind and heart. He walked differently than us and when He came into Jerusilum, His Father had already arranged for a donkey and a place to meet. I think we get carried away with our agenda and without others who are in your mind or even those who aren't able to keep up let you down then you feel frustrated and left holding the ball. Be of good cheer and rest in Gods time. I really struggle with how so many treat our kids and want to pray brimstone but He says to pray for them. O to have His mind. Ken

Unknown said...

Ken, great thought!