Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thin Places

In Wild Goose Chase, by Mark Batterson, he mentions the idea of inattentional blindness. The idea that we become blinded to things that we see all the time. However, the wonder of God is found in the routine of life, and when we stop and notice divine moments in ordinary events, those are called "thin places" according the Celtic Christians. The place where heaven meets earth.

I found a thin place in Hagerstown, MD at 5:45 this morning while running. When I began, the stars were bright and the moon lite the street. It was magnificent, breathtaking even. Then, as I ran, dawn began. I don't mean it crept in the way my daughters sneak into my bedroom. It gloriously arose. It was awe-inspiring. Truly wondrous. Steadily, what happens everyday happened, not again, but in a special way, that is one-of-a-kind. And as dawn arose, I could see the dew covered fields, and watched as a heavy fog began to descend over our town. Even the fog was spectacular. Toward the end of my 12 mile trek, the fog began to break and the sun shown through. And all I could say was, "Wow God! You Rock!"

What "thin places" have you seen recently? Would love to hear your stories.

2 comments:

Ron Weinke and Dean Peterson said...

There are definitely some amazing things all around us that we overlook all too often. Also a good lesson in connecting to God through the spiritual pathway of nature. I think about the majesty often as I am blessed to travel to see so many wonderous places. From the majestic blanket of green in New Hamphsire to the majestic peaks of Colorado. From the crystal blue ocean on Miami Beach to the coast of California where the mountains meet the sea. The wonderous variety and detail of creation is overwhelming. (If I had any computer saavy I would include pictures!)

When the battles of life make you feel like you are surrounded by the Enemy, I like to reflect on the enormity of the surrounding creation and I am reminded that the Creator is the only one who is truly everywhere.

"Sing to God, sing praise to his name, extol him who rides on the clouds--his name is the LORD--and rejoice before him. A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing." --Psalm 68:4-6

Unknown said...

Great passage and encouragement!