Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Can We Make God Smile?

I don't feel that spiritual. I mean like all those really spiritual people. The ones that make me feel inadequate, not good enough. What's worse? I don't really feel that bad about it.

I'm learning to define my spirituality, less by what others think, and the measurements of the religious world, and more by how often I'm making God "smile". I have this thought that worship is simply anything we do that causes God to look in at our life and smile. So, I ask myself, "What do I do everyday that makes God smile?" It has begun to change my outlook on spirituality.

Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." (Luke 12:30)

How does that impact ordinary spirituality? We can worship God with our heart, soul, mind, and strength. Have you ever thought that by simply using your mind in creative, intelligent ways you can express your love to God? Or by using your strength and physical abilities, God is smiling down on you?

Eric Liddell is quoted in Chariots of Fire as saying, "I believe that God made me for a purpose... but he also made me fast. And when I run, I feel HIS pleasure." Maybe we can be spiritual while running, swimming, thinking, reading, painting, studying, climbing, writing, feeling, dreaming, or doing anything that brings a smile to God's face. Maybe it's un-spiritual to waste what's in our heart, soul, mind, and strength to bring God fame.

How can you use your passions, gifts, strength to bring a smile to God's face?

No comments: