Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Full Week

Normally when I say something about having a full week, I'm talking about doing what I love in ministry for about... ah, say... 60 or so hours. Sometimes I wonder if I can actually call pastoring, especially leading Lifehouse Church, work. I mean, I love it and am having fun most of the time. It's a pretty cool thing when you can work passionately doing what you love and were created to do.

But... that's not the point of this entry.

So, this week (Tues the 12th) included Laura's (30th- don't tell her I told you) birthday. We had a blast, and I was able to surprises her by getting the house in order, making a full 4-course meal with a gourmet salad, hours de vours, Chicken Marsala, and cake. We had candles, flowers, all kinds of pretty stuff like a thing called a "runner" that has tassels on it that goes in the middle of the table... So, when Laura arrived home with our girls- SURPRISE! It was great. Laura loves enjoying time with me and the girls, and they enjoyed the "posh" dinner together. I even let them stay up late (as in 'til 7:30) so they could eat ice cream cake with mommy.

Next on the docket... Valentine's Day. It's a lot of pressure for the average guy who's dating or married anyway. Add to that the growing expectations of my daughters, and wow! I feel an unbelievable burden to be romantic, creative, and both the knight in shining armor and the sweep-you-off-your-feet-so-no-boys-will-ever-impress-you dad. Two nights ago, Carissa asked me if I'll wear a tie when I take them all out to the Olive Garden to celebrate. Now that takes love and devotion... I mean me and a tie. That's like water and oil. So, of course, in my leadership/ pastoral voice I said, "of course, Sweetheart. Would you like me to wear suspenders and a sport coat as well."

1 comment:

Ron Weinke and Dean Peterson said...

Having had your chicken marsala, I know that it sweeps me off my feet! And I have seen you in a tie, so although rare I know that it does occur on rare occasion. Besides, if that is all it takes to impress your daughters...that is a relatively easy one! It is an awesome example to the rest of us to see just how important you believe being romantic and investing in our wives is and also how important it is to be a loving father who helps develop a great sense of self-worth in his daughters. Have a great Valentine's Day and as one writer notes, I am pretty sure these things are making significant deposits in your "Love Bank" in the minds of your four ladies!