Monday, July 23, 2007

Sometimes I Don't Know What to Say

Okay, well that happens often. And many times it's very appropriate to not know what to say. Often because there aren't the right words (read the book of Job if you don't believe me). However, sometimes it's because, even though I've prepared, God intervenes. These are "God-moments."

I had two moments in the service where they were "God-moments". Let me explain. I believe that everything we do on Sundays are God moments, and we prepare in an attitude of prayer and believe that God leads us to preach, chose songs, and format the service as he directs. However, there are still times when he takes over.

First, Jon played "Be Near" and we felt that it was the right time to just pause and allow us all to be reminded that God is near. Hope you were encouraged or are now while reading this.

Second, when I was concluding my message, I had this personally WOW-moment. I write out all my messages very thoroughly, then present them as best I can without notes. Yep, I do my best to memorize my messages now! Anyway... I was struck by the connection between the story of David and Mephibosheth in 2 Samuel 9 and what God has done for us. I didn't notice it while I was preparing, but when I was wrapping up the message, I was amazed by the parallels. Here's what I mean:
  • David invited Meph... into his throne room, even though he should have killed him; God invites/ welcomes us into his throne room, even though we deserve death and banishment (see Romans 5:8).
  • David invited Meph to his table to a permanent seat to eat and fellowship. We are invited to God's table for eternity and will share together at the "Marriage feast of the Lamb".
  • David's invitation to Meph was more than just a provision to eat at his table, it brought status and rights. When we accept Jesus as Savior, we are brought into right-standing with God and welcomed at his table as a righteous person.
  • Meph was given the full inheritance of his grandfather (made very wealthy). When we begin a relationship with Jesus, we become co-heirs of heaven, with all the rights and privileges that brings.
WOW! Maybe it doesn't amaze you as much. But that's pretty cool stuff. I never saw it before, but glad I caught it yesterday.

No comments: