Friday, January 27, 2012

A Pastors' Cage Fight

Yesterday, I had the privilege of attending the The Elephant Room, a live simulcast event pitting nationally prominent Christian leaders to debate topics with each other. It was open to questions via Twitter, and allowed 2 pastors to debate an issue, but each topic was then opened for input from the others in attendance.

While I thought last year's Elephant Room was more challenging, heated, and interactive, this one certainly left me with me take-aways. I posted several direct quotes via Twitter and Facebook.

Learn more about the speakers and topics here: James MacDonald, Mark Driscoll, Crawford Loritts, Jack Graham, TD Jakes, Steven Furtick, Wayne Cordeiro.

Topics/ Issues: Diversity, Denominations, Differences (in major theology), Depression (un-health of pastors and how to avoid burnout), Distinctives (essentials of the Gospel).

Significantly, at least at the event, TD Jakes came out and addressed his position, with great humility and willingness, on his theology of the Godhead. What was discussed was a deep theological distinction regarding modalism or Sabellianism. (For more info on Sabellianism, visit Justin Holcomb's Know Your Heretics series at The Resurgence.) and Trinitarianism. Honestly, while I study and know my theology, I was not familiar with TD Jakes position on these issues, so I wasn't prepared for this discussion and was even surprised by it.

I enjoyed the grace and truth with which topics were handled and debated. In fact, I wish there had been more heat, debate, and direct candor on differences (or that they had brought in speakers who didn't agree so much). The elephant did not seem very big in the Elephant Room. In fact, here's a pic of the actual elephant in the room at our event. See, not very big!

If you would like to read well-written live-blogged version of the event, check it out at Trevin Wax's blog.

I may post some of my personal thoughts and notes from the event next week, if there is enough interest. Let me know!

No comments: