Monday, August 15, 2011

I Had to Get Away BUT It's Great to Be Back

My family and I just returned from vacation and sabbatical, and I must say that it's great to be home. We had a blast!

We enjoyed the beach, lots of family time, campfires, and lots of grilled food. We also listened to nearly the entire Chronicles of Narnia series on CD while we drove 3,700 miles.

But there's nothing like coming home... to your own bed and to your own church family. There's nothing like falling into my own bed, and similarly, it's the best feeling to return to our loving Lifehouse family!

Here's why I had to get away...

  • to get refreshed. When we began planting Lifehouse back in '03, I knew I wouldn't get Sundays off and would rarely get a vacation day. For 3.5 years I didn't miss Sundays, which meant no extended vacation. This was a necessary sacrifice. However, if it goes on for too long, it leads to burn out. I take a few weeks in a row so that I can get refreshed from the rigors of ministry.
  • to get family time. My family sacrifices for ministry along with me, most of that means they give up daddy-time. So, vacation allows for much needed time for me and the girls.
  • to get perspective. We enjoy visiting other churches and ministries while we're away. We get to see what others are doing, experience being renewed by worship and preaching. And it's a great reminder of how it feels to be a guest at church. I take notes on sermons, talk with members and pastors, and try to learn as much as possible during these visits.
  • to get recharged. A few years ago, a mentor challenges me to take a chunk of time off during the summer, speak less, so that I would be a better preacher. This seemed crazy, but I respected his opinion, and now, I can honestly say that I am a better pastor, leader, and communicator because I take time-off. Not preaching every weekend gives me a chance to recharge and recalibrate. Plus, I have a great charge to get back to preaching. Honestly, sitting and listening at Lifehouse yesterday, Pastor Brian did a great job, but I'm chomping at the bit to get back to preaching! Can't wait until this Sunday!
  • to take a sabbatical. What's a sabbatical. Time off, but not just vacation. Time to read, pray, study, learn, and write. Last year and this, I took significant time to read leadership, inspirational, and theological books. I took time to focus in prayer and worship to God. And I had time to write. Hopefully, someday this will translate into a book!
Just a few thoughts on why I take time off and to let you know how excited I am to be back! Can't wait to speak this weekend. Also, pumped about our upcoming launch of life groups, Friend Day, kick-off of "God Exposed" and the launch of Lifehouse- Hedgesville (the New Church on the Block).

No comments: