Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

What consumes your attention and passion? What's worth giving your life to and for?

Here are my notes from this past Sunday's message, including the letter I read from the missionary to Iraq:

Listen to I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, by U2. What are you hearing in this top hit? What message do you connect with in the lyrics?

I personally grew up having "carrots" dangled in front of me, by my parents, teachers, and spiritual leaders to keep me motivation. These "carrots" eventually consumed my attention? Most of them revolved around grasping and living the American dream.

However, I discovered that these carrots weren't worth living for, but especially worth dying for. I became discouraged, and maybe even disillusioned. what’s worth dying for. Even faith seemed led by those who had practice without passion, content without conviction. I longed for what would so inspire, grip me that I’d give my life to and for?

What in this life is worth your life? Can you live your entire life only for this life?

Meet a group of guys who were "going crazy" in Acts 4.

Background to Acts 4, they seem “crazy”.

What has so gripped you, that you can’t help but speak of what you’ve seen and heard? What is it about you that “astonishes” people?

Big Idea: Follow JESUS!

Why give my life to Jesus? Why be crazy about Him, surrender whole life and purpose to Him? Why would Peter and John be so willing to face threats, persecution, even death for the sake of Jesus? (see Acts 4:20)

Only when the truth of Jesus takes hold of your life, will you be unable to give your life to any thing else. Only when you become so aware of his love and sacrifice for you, do you willingly give your life and all to Him?

What has He done for me? What did they see and hear? (Acts 4:12)

Well, examine the example of Jesus Christ: he gave His life as a ransom for our sin. Sacrificially died to pay the penalty for our sin. Took our place. Lived perfect sinless life, then, in his perfection, took the full weight of all our sins upon himself, and paid the full price for all those sins through his own brutal death. But sin couldn’t hold him down in death, and Jesus triumphantly rose victorious over death and the grave, and offered all who believe in Him new, eternal life.

We don’t follow religion, church, others in faith, BUT Jesus. He is our Cause, our faith.

Is our life marked by Jesus? Or are we still trying to make our way, find our carrot to chase?

What else consumes my life? Everything else will disappoint!

Once you find Jesus, and discover that He is worth living and dying for, then what?

Big Idea: FOLLOW Jesus!

When our life is centered, focused, aimed solely at Jesus, we are transformed. (see Acts 4:13)

What was their mark of greatness? What caught their persecutors off guard?

Peter and John had “been with Jesus” and it showed through them. Does your experience, your prayer life, worship, study of God’s word so impact you, that it transforms you?

Is it obvious that you’ve been with Jesus? Does it astonish anyone around you?

Following Jesus is extreme, risky, and astonishing.

When we follow Jesus, we follow His example, live boldly, walk in faith and faithfully.

When we follow Jesus, our life is not our own, but abandoned to His Cause and purpose.

Are you willing to surrender to HIS will? To decrease so that Jesus can increase in your life? Are you willing to be seen as ordinary so that Jesus is know as extraordinary?

Didn’t count their life worth anything other than to follow Jesus. (see Acts 4:29-31)

It's not ancient history, but a contemporary struggle voiced by U2. Echoed by a generation that wants to see what is worth living for? Even dying for?

Lived everyday by millions of Jesus-followers under extreme persecution, living an amazing faith, offering astonishing obedience, and extraordinary sacrifice: Karen Watson, lived from 1973-2004, and was killed as a missionary worker in Iraq by terrorists.

Dear Pastor, You should only be opening this letter in the event of my death. When God calls there are no regrets. I tried to share my heart with you as much as possible, my heart for the nations. I wasn’t called to a place, I was called to Him. To obey was my objective, to suffer was expected, His glory my reward… The Missionary Heart cares more than some think is wise, risks more than some think is safe, dreams more than some think is practical, expects more than some think is possible. I was called not to comfort or to success but to obedience. There is no joy outside of knowing Jesus and serving Him. I love you and my church family. In his care, Karen.

Imagine if we lived like this.

Does my biblical presentation seem simplistic? This big idea to basic? You ask, "Is that it?"

It’s like the egg and bacon breakfast, the chicken got involved and contributed to the meal, but the pig was totally committed and all in.

Imagine we actually lived totally consumed with the person of Jesus and committed to following Him with abandon? Imagine we discovered His love, forgiveness, peace, joy, and then shared it with the world?

Would those around us be astonished, because they know that we’re just ordinary, not-that-smart people who have BEEN with JESUS?


No comments: