Tuesday, May 29, 2007

SERMON NOTES:JOLT- Burning Fuel

We live in a fast-pace, microwave, instant-everything world. We go from early morning to late at night with all the stuff life throws at us. Have you ever noticed life drains us? That’s why so many of us are addicted to coffee or sodas or energy drinks and bars, ginseng tea, or whatever other energy-giving additive we can find. Life drains and these things fuel us to keep us going, since we don’t slow down long enough to get fully recharged otherwise. We need real, lasting fuel to energize our souls!Do you ever find yourself going from one scheduled activity to the next, and find that your daily routine and life patterns are exhausting?

Maybe the reason so many of us are drained, running on E, is because we’re burning our fuel constantly heading in the wrong direction. We run on fuel, but we can waste a lot of fuel going the wrong way and being consumed doing the wrong things.

Here's the Big Idea: Through prayer, God gives direction to our daily lives.

“This, then, is how you should pray:‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.’ Matthew 6:9-10, NCV.

Jesus taught us to pray for God’s will or desires to be accomplished in our lives. This is a pivotal element of prayer.

Key questions:
  • Do I believe God can and will answer the prayers of common people?
  • Do I believe that God knows best for me and has my best interest in mind?
  • Do I hold to this popular idea that leads to a greater demise of lostness and burn-out? “I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.” Invictus, William Ernest Henley.
This isn’t about being lazy or wimpy, but about perspective.

  • Illustration of GPS guidance. He can see what we can’t and he’s planned the route out for us. He knows the best way for us to go, the one that will be most effective. When we follow God’s plan we are fueled and fulfilled. When we don’t, we are drained and constantly running on E and lost.
  • Like watching a parade from the window of a skyscraper, He can see things coming that we can never anticipate.
So, God offered us the fuel of prayer to energize our soul and provide direction for life, and Jesus taught us the “how-to’s” of gaining direction in prayer.

1. Consider Our Way!
In order to conserve fuel while driving or hiking, I must first stop and thinking the path I’ve traveled, and take a close look at where I’m at. Basically, find my bearings.The alternative is to continue wandering or heading in the wrong direction which leads to burn out and draining the already depleted reserves of fuel.

The first step of gaining God’s direction is to admit that I don’t know best road for our daily lives. It’s to take a hard look at where I am and where I’m going, and turn it over to God.

Proverbs 4:26, "Ponder the path of your feet and let all your ways be established."

  • Take time to be quiet and assess your life.Regularly take time to assess my steps.
  • Re-evaluate my direction in life and pause in my decision making. Look at your life. Take time for personal examination!
  • Ask: “Am I open to the direction and leading of God?” and “Do I really want God’s best for my life today?”
  • God is not the God of confusion or chaos. When our lives feel out-of-order, we need to pause and consider our ways.
You, Lord, give true peace to those who depend on you, because they trust you. So, trust the Lord always, because he is our Rock forever. Isaiah 26:3-4, NCV.

2. Commit Our Day!
Now it’s time to actually listen and follow what our trail guide speaks.

"Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him to help you do it and he will. Psalm 37:5, NLT.

  • Commit your schedule to Him. When you commit your schedule to the Lord, He gives you strength and multiplies your time.
  • If God knows what’s best on a daily basis, isn’t better to consult with and spend time following His guidance. This is simply asking God, “Lead me today. Let your will be done with my life.”
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6, NKJV.

  • Offer your entire schedule, your daily life, not just the moments when your begging for help and can’t see your way or feel lost. Invite God to lead your steps. That’s one moment at a time.

No comments: